Lynchburg & Forest, Virginia Family Law Attorney
Family is deeply important and is the cornerstone of our lives for most of us. But disagreements and conflicts among family members can sometimes require the help of legal counsel. Unfortunately, these can be tense situations that are driven by emotion. This is why it’s vital that you have the sound advice and assistance you need to make clear and informed decisions.
At the Straw Law Firm, our experienced and skilled family law attorney can help you successfully navigate Virginia’s complex family law procedures so that you can move forward with your life. Our goal is to protect the rights and financial future of you and your loved ones and give you peace of mind knowing that your family legal matter is in good hands.
What is Family Law in Virginia?
Family law refers to the practice of helping people with issues that arise in family relationships. It includes assisting individuals who are going through a difficult time and need help picking up the pieces of damaged relationships.
Because of the nature of these matters, family law cases can often be strenuous and incredibly emotional for all involved. Making the wrong decision can have lasting consequences, both financially and emotionally, which is why it’s always recommended that you have a knowledgeable third party in your corner that can help guide you through whatever legal processes you are required to go through.
Experience with a Wide Range of Family Law Issues
Our legal team is dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome in your family law case. We will do all we can to defend your interests and preserve your wealth. Some of the family law issues that we have successfully managed for clients include:
• Divorce. If you decide that it’s time to dissolve your marriage, there are several ways to do this in Virginia. You can file for a no-fault divorce or allege grounds for divorce; you can also take a case to trial or negotiate a marital settlement. Our experienced divorce attorney will help you navigate this process and choose the path that best fits your needs.
• Child custody. This is one of the most hotly contested issues in family law. Our attorney can help preserve your parental rights and achieve a parenting plan that is in the best interests of your children.
• Child support. Our experienced family law attorney can help manage conflicts related to child support payments between unmarried and divorcing parents. We can also assist with post-divorce motions for enforcement of support orders and modification of orders.
• Alimony. No matter what side of the conflict you are on, the issue of paying or receiving spousal support is vital to your financial future. Our family law attorney can help you obtain a fair order that is based on your financial circumstances.
• Property division. When it comes to property division, Virginia is an equitable distribution state, meaning the court will not necessarily divide marital assets and debts equally but will instead do so in a manner that is considered fair. These can be complex and contentious issues, and our firm has experience handling both high asset cases and making sure families with more modest means receive the service they need and deserve.
• Prenuptial agreements. Our legal team can provide assistance to clients who wish to memorialize their property rights prior to marriage by negotiating, drafting, and reviewing prenuptial agreements.
• Domestic violence. When a client has been the victim of domestic violence, immediate legal steps should be taken to provide as much protection as possible. Our firm will outline your legal options and do everything possible to safeguard you and your family through proper legal channels.
• Adoption. Our family law practice is honored to represent clients who wish to adopt a child. This includes step-parent adoption and foreign adoptions.
• Grandparents rights. Under certain circumstances, grandparents have custody and visitation rights.These are complex cases, and our family law attorney can help explain what legal recourse a grandparent might have in a particular situation and help grandparents to exercise their rights through the legal system.
• Post-divorce issues. If you or your former spouse has a material change in circumstances following a divorce, we can help you file for a modification of child or spousal support, or a child custody and visitation order. We can also provide assistance if your ex-spouse fails to honor the terms of a divorce decree or other family law-related order.
Many family legal issues can be resolved through negotiation and family law mediation. This can save expense as well as preserve lasting relationships. But when your case requires a more aggressive approach to achieve your goals, you can depend on our experience and skill inside the courtroom.
A Commitment to Our Family Law Clients
At the Straw Law Firm, we believe that it is not only our job to provide strong representation in these cases but also education and information about legal rights regarding family law issues. Our commitment to clients includes the following:
• Personal attention from the attorney handling your case – not just office staff or a paralegal
• Comprehensive legal guidance from the time of your initial consultation until your case is successfully concluded
• Cost-effective and timely achievement of your legal goals through a combination of aggressive litigation and negotiation
• Frequent updates and clear communication so you understand your options, rights, and the consequences of your choices
• A compassionate family law practice that is sensitive to your legal and emotional needs
Speak with an Experienced Lynchburg-area Family Law Attorney
When you are facing a challenging divorce, custody issue, or other family law challenge, it is vital that you have qualified representation you can trust. Our goal is to always protect your interests and future. We customize our approach to your particular situation, family dynamics, and circumstances. Our team will take the time to listen to your preferences, concerns, and goals before determining how to best achieve the results you want and need.
To learn more about how we can assist you with your family law concerns, contact our Lynchburg area office today at (434) 595-3581 to schedule your initial consultation.